President Goodluck was not attacked in Uganda

0
248

The Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan’s convoy was not attacked in Uganda on Thursday on his way back to the airport from attending the swearing-in ceremony of President Yoweri Museveni.

Nigerian senior special adviser to the President on media and publicity, Ima Niboro, said the report was not true and advised that it be discountenanced.

“There was no attack. We only passed by opposition elements, whose leader returned to Uganda today (yesterday), during a peaceful procession on our way to the airport”, he explained.

However, some wired reports claimed that the convoy of Jonathan was stoned and pelted with pebbles. They did not advance reasons why what they claimed happened.

Thursday, Reuters reported that Ugandan Police shot at a crowd in the capital Kampala after it attacked a car carrying Jonathan who had attended President Yoweri Museveni’s inauguration, a government spokesman said.

Opposition leader Kizza Besigye over the last month has been leading walk- to-work” protests over the rising cost of food and fuel. Besigye, whom Museveni defeated in his February re-election win, said the marches are also to protest government corruption.

Upon return on Thursday, Besigye vowed to continue working closely with the organizers of walk-to-work but Government maintains that the demonstrations.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here